Thursday, July 30, 2009

"How I Buy Stuff"

Week 3: EOC
My purchasing decisions are always based on a combination of three things, routine, quality, or money. I am a true shopper but never frivolous. I always have a reason and purpose for every buying decision I make.

When grocery shopping, I base my decisions on healthiness and taste. I will always buy the “name brand” ingredients when cooking from scratch, mostly because I think it tastes better. Whether or not that’s true, I’m not sure.

Drug and beauty products are always the most expensive but I never stray away because, why fix it isn’t broken. Plus, I will never take the chance that a product works the same. I wouldn’t want to save $2 and then have my hair fall out. Same goes for Tylenol, cough syrup, etc. When I’m sick I want to get well, the generic brands never seem like they are as strong or get me well quite as fast.

I’m probably the most picky when it comes to toiletry products. I always buy the same brand and will NEVER purchase anything else, even if it’s twice as expensive. Certain brands truly work better and bathroom goods are never a good place to cheat yourself.

The one area that I usually don’t have a rhyme or reason for my buying decisions is retail shopping. I love clothes; I see them as an art and self expression. Many of my decisions are baced on trends. However, I see myself as a trend setter therefore my purchases are usually based on passion and originality of the product. I don’t like to look like everyone else therefore I don’t shop at just one place. Although, I am currently a student, so the fact that I am forced to live on a budget gets in the way. Currently, I find myself shopping on the internet where I am less likely to be enticed by the displays and set-ups in the stores and boutiques that have all the “extras” that make it so difficult to walk out of a store with just one thing.

“The internet appeals to men who find it an easy way to shop for clothing and gifts.” MKTG, Lamb pg. 75, the internet has made a gateway to not just male buyers but woman as well. Women are getting busier and busier they’re not just “stay at home moms” anymore but working women with families. If anything, they need to expand their marketing more towards women, with more user friendly websites and a focus on the “21st century working mom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment